Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Leaving Japan

Hard to believe my time here is almost done... Every time I think about it my eyes well up (like they did when I ate the hottest wasabi in the world today on my vegetarian lunch...) I'm only going home because I miss my kids. I've never had a better vacation. I love the mix of moderninity and ancient culture and the kind people. I love the efficiency of everything from air conditioners to train systems. I love the food that isn't too sugary. I love that the Japanese are so clean that there are people whose job is to clean the escalators... I love that there are monkeys in the mountains and tame deer in parks and monks riding their scooters around town. I'll miss the "Smile Kids" building in front of our hotel, I'll miss the F Mart where I can get my tempura pumpkin any time, I'll miss the funny Japanese tv shows that I can't understand or figure out at all! Japan, I'll miss you, thanks for having me!

1 comment:

abbie said...

aw, this makes me cry, Liesl!
i'm so happy for you to have such a wonderful vacation. you deserve it so much.

i can't wait to visit Japan one day too!