Tuesday, August 12, 2008

All Japan All the Time!

At least for the next 12 days...
We just arrived yesterday and I have yet to sleep after 3 solid days. But, don't feel sad for me because I am in one of the cleanest, friendliest, safest places on earth. Seriously, there is no litter at all, and even the cement trucks and garbage trucks are clean and shiny. There is hardly any crime here. Everyone parks their bicycles on the street with no lock because they won't get stolen. (I have seen some grafitti, just a little, and it's made me wonder about the motivation of taggers in Japan. What do they have to say? I wish I could read it. Of course, it's tagged in Kanji so it may just be "I love Yoko" or something benign like that)
We walked to Kyoto Station today, twice, because it is such a cool place to be. It really is a beautiful architectural marvel. It houses an entire mall and even has a section with the most artful desserts displayed in glass cases like an American perfume counter.
Tonight the plan is to stroll down the Kamogawa River, which is right next to our hotel. (Or, rather, hostel. This is a great place to stay. Our room is so tiny - just big enough for one full size bed and no closet - but, has the most amazing electronic toilet with four separate bidet settings and a heated seat. Mike had a bad experience with the bidet when he tried to figure out how to flush the toilet...)
I experienced my first hole-in-the-floor-no-toilet-paper restroom at the station today.

3 comments:

Pollywog said...

Yep, I was right - they don't have children's rooms with, ahem, poop smeared on the floor. Sounds lovely. How would it be to live in a place where they still have such respect and high standards? And they don't even have to lock up their bikes?!?! Crazy! Wish I could be there!

abbie said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i'm so jealous! how is the weather? how was the flight?

Scott and i watched Memoirs of a Geisha again the other night (if you still haven't seen it, remind me to let you borrow it!) and Kyoto is SOOO incredibly beautiful!

you two are so lucky to be there, yet you deserve a great trip so much!
i'm happy for you!!!

xoxoxo

northsaltlakejake said...

It's just not fair!
You there -- us here. At least we don't have to struggle with the TP issue. Enjoy the food, but stay away from the blowfish -- we want you back here to tell us all about it.