Did you know Cambodian recipes are surprisingly difficult to find? (My library has not even one Cambodian cookbook!) I was finally able to cull together 5 intriguing dishes, resulting in several successful and one semi-disastrous offering.
The Menu:
Tomato Salad
Ginger Pork with Peanuts Elephant Walk
Cambodian Grilled Eggs
Ginger Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Tomato Salad...the austere name doesn't hint at the intricate flavors in this dish. Sprinkled with mint and basil and topped with a dressing made from limes, honey, soy sauce and jalapenos, it reminded us of our favorite Chanon Thai dish, Spicy Soft-Shell Crab Salad. (And, burned our mouths and other parts we accidentally touched after chopping the peppers! Be careful...maybe wear gloves.)
- Ginger Pork with Peanuts Elephant Walk...SO DELICIOUS. This dish, with its nice sweetness (6 Tablespoons of sugar!) is a good contrast to the really spicy salad. I could eat this forever.
- Cambodian Grilled Eggs...*Sigh* Rarely do I experience kitchen failures, but this one pretty much got the best of me. First of all, I would like to give props to this amazing website, Global Table Adventure, which puts my "eating around the world" quest to shame. (Look at her map! Mine is on a wall, so you can't actually see it...) From the first step of blowing the eggs out of the shells, to trying to get the egg mixture back in the shells, to exploding steamed egg (which turned an odd green color, by the way,) it was a no-win situation. They tasted okay, but, as Patrick put it, we're counting this one "not worth the effort." (I'm glad we tried it, though!)
- Caramelized Ginger Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream... Oh my, LOVE... Gingery, caramely, delicious!
![]() |
| Grilled Eggs... |
We love Cambodian food! The flavors and textures remind us of our favorite Thai food. Despite all the deliciousness, the French Goat Cheese and Potato Galette remains our favorite in the series...so far...



No comments:
Post a Comment