Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What Are Tweens Really Reading?

As Children's librarians we rely on our personal knowledge to recommend books to kids. I always wonder if the children's books that adults enjoy differ from the books that kids really love to read. The Newbery award, for example, is much esteemed as the pinnacle of children's literature, when in fact, rarely are the winners requested unless assigned by a teacher. I loved The Higher Power of Lucky, 2007's winner, but have never actually had a child ask me for it! The winner of the 2008 Newbery, Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!, I had never even heard of before the announcement...
I decided to poll my son's 6th grade class to find out what the top books are among actual tweens. I'm still procuring all the information but so far Island of the Blue Dolphins is the only Newbery on the list. The list is 60 books long...

2 comments:

Pollywog said...

Wow, they didn't like "The Tale of Desperaux?" That surprises me. Or how about "Crispin and the Cross of Lead?" Both are great books which I thought kids would totally be into. Hmmm. Not to mention "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler?!?!" That's one of my favorites!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't read much as a kid. Didn't like it. I admit it. And the library was dark and dungeon like. Scary even. However, I made it through the dark ages because my mother would read to me. I am not ashamed to admit she read to me all the way until I was thirteen. Then I went mostly read free. But, I got back into it. I recently checked out Catwings because I remember my Mom reading it to me. My father also often read. I really believe I would lack interest in reading, even in libraries had it not been for the readers around me.